Parents often ask why newborn babies would see a chiropractor. Many newborns receive strain to the neck due to intrauterine position or the process of being born. Incidence is increased in breech, transverse or posterior positioning, long or very fast births, ventouse suction, forceps delivery or c-section.
Problems associated with nerve dysfunction and reduced mobility from birth trauma could include neck stiffness, relating to irritability, difficulty with feeding and attachment, sleeping problems and imbalance in head shape (plagiocephaly).
Adjustments differ significantly from adults often only requiring light fingertip pressure. Infant adjustments are very gentle and babies will typically be soothed by an adjustment. It is important that a full assessment is made to determine if Chiropractic care is appropriate for your child.
65% of your babies’ neurological development for its life will occur during the first year.
The average child will fall 2500 times before the age of 3, three of them will be major falls such as off change tables, out of cots or downstairs. 50% will have a major fall in their first year! As a child grows they will also be subject to falls from bikes, play equipment, trampolines, poor posture with computer games, iPad, TV and heavy school bags.
Much of this is unavoidable and often disregarded but it is the cumulative nature that results in ongoing problems and postural deviations that remain through life. Checkups help to keep the long term impact to a minimum and allow the nervous system and your child’s body to perform at optimal levels.
But my child has no symptoms? Just as early tooth decay may not be painful, the effect of nerve irritation and postural imbalances follow the same principle.
This is an extremely important time to check your child’s spine and posture.
Previously undetected postural problems can often be multiplied during growth spurts and the increased demands of adolescent sporting activities. Many of these changes can be corrected before maturity. Posture, computers, heavy schoolbags, stress and contact sports play a large role in teenage health issues and are important to correct early.
Many parents find their teenagers more responsive to professional advice than their own nagging.
Pregnancy and Birth is a Natural Process, our role with Chiropractic Care is to allow your body to adapt and function as it was designed to and support you during this important time.
Prenatal adjustments can:
- Prepare the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating state of balance in the pelvic bony structure, muscles and ligaments.
- 50% of women complain of back pain during pregnancy, chiropractic markedly reduces much of this allowing the pelvis to function correctly.
- Improved function and decreased pain can promote a safer easier birth for the mother decreasing need for intervention.
- Research has shown first time mums averaged a 24% shorter labour while experienced mums had a 39% reduction in average labour time with regular chiropractic care in pregnancy
- Good pelvic alignment and posture allows the baby room to develop without restriction to its forming skull, spine and other skeletal structures and prepare for the best position for birth.
- Proper foetal positioning enables even pressure on the cervix resulting in easier dilation and decreases the chance of a difficult birth and resulting intervention.
- By decreasing stress in the mother during pregnancy allows a more relaxed environment for her developing baby.